Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cookie Marathon....



The past month seems a blur of traveling and doctor's appointments...neither leads to a real festive mood. Need to snap-out-of-it...so I am doing some marathon cookie baking today. Nothing says the holidays better than a house smelling of cinnamon, chocolate, and pecans.

On the list to bake are Christmas biscotti (pistachios, apricot, and cranberries), Coconut and chocolate biscotti, Chocolate mint snowtops, molasses cookies, and Linzer torte bars. Should keep me out of trouble for the afternoon. (The coconut biscotti just came out of the oven...they smell great!)

While they are in the oven I will continue working on my Orca Bay/Phynizy Swamp Mystery. I cut out the black triangles last night. Didn't do a great job of keeping count...duh. So I hope a basket-full will be enough!


On the quilting side of things...a few weeks ago I saw some photos of pinecone quilts on either blogs or facebook. Years ago a gentleman brought a quilt made by his mother back in the 1930's to our quilt-show.

This quilt weighed at least ten pounds...maybe more...and the "cones" were almost an inch high. The number of fabrics used was amazing. He remembered several woman working on these quilt blocks but wasn't sure if they went into this quilt or each of the woman were working on quilts of their own.

6 comments:

Ali Honey said...

Your triangles in the box look like they could be a pretty red Christmas tree.

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

You always make the best looking cookies!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

mmm biscotti. I second Ali's comment about your blocks looking like a gorgeous tree.

regan said...

That quilt is amazing! Wow! I'll bet it even better in person. And your biscotti looks fantastic! Yum!

Janet O. said...

Wow, that is a fun variety of baked goodies!
I can't believe those pinecone blocks. I've never seen such a thing. What an interesting creation.

Janet said...

I can imagine how much the pinecone quilt would weigh one down sleeping under it but it sure is fascinating. The biscoti sound delicious.