Thursday, December 06, 2012

Christmas Pillows

In addition to collecting quilts and quilt tops I also have a large collection of vintage and antique quilt blocks. Most of these I use for fabric study.  Like tops the fabric has seen little to no wear so it gives insight into what colors and styles quilters of that time period were using.

Occasionally I will use a block.  For instance I have a stack (about 24) of these Dresden plate blocks.  The center is really large.  The fabrics are typical of the the 1920-30's but nothing really significant.  So I felt it was ok to use a few to make some holiday pillows.

As I said the center part of the plate is very large so I decided to do some embroidery.  Fits with the time period of the original blocks.  I don't embroider as much as I used to and every time I pick it up again I am surprised how much I enjoy it!  The muslin was thin so I added another thin piece behind the block before I embroidered.  This helps the stitches lay flatter and hides the threadtails better.  I used some batting left over from other projects (bonus...cleared out  a bit of the extra batting bin!)  It is quilted with #8 perle cotton.

One of my quilting friends commented on my small embroidery stitches.  It reminded me of my sewing lessons in Girl Scouts.  I was about 8 or 9 years old and Mrs. Lynch warned us, "you don't want to have people in church whispering there goes the girl with the big stitches "  That must have made an impression because I still hear it in the back of my head every time I thread a needle!

17 comments:

Mary said...

They look wonderful. The multi-colour centre looks right, as if it was meant to be there.

MB in MI said...

Really lovely!

Janet O. said...

Isn't it funny what makes a deep impression on us when we are young? : )
Very pretty blocks--the embroidery is a beautiful addition!

Tonya Ricucci said...

pretty. be a rebel - make big stitches and that will show her!

O'Quilts said...

The pillow idea is wonderful, they look great. And speaking of great...how nice it is to see in the "about you" section...certified appraiser...

Alice said...

Very cute!

Impera Magna said...

... "you don't want to have people in church whispering there goes the girl with the big stitches"... too funny!

I enjoy embroidery as well but it's hard to find time to do it these days... but hey! I'll be retiring in four years so maybe there's hope yet!

Great way to use those blocks!

McIrish Annie said...

your christmas pillows are gorgeous! nice way to use up some old blocks

Carol E. said...

That comment from Mrs. Lynch would have been enough to discourage me and result in me stopping the entire activity. Glad it challenged you. The pillows are beautiful!

sewkalico said...

Love what the teacher said - how funny! There goes the girl with the big stitches!! I must remember that LOL

Anonymous said...

I love the pillows!....great use for the dresden plated!! and beautiful embroidery

Merilyn said...

I just love what you've done with those Dresden plate blocks, what a great idea!!! Love doing embroidery too, and you're right, goes so well with 1930's stuff, great job!!!!!

Tazzie said...

Oh my goodness Sio, that is just lovely! Your embroidery is delightful, I wish I was able to do pretty stitches like that.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

dianne said...

okay - that one really DID make me laugh out loud ... your Mrs. Lynch and my mother must have been kindred spirits ... when she taught me to embroider, my mom told me that the back should look as good as the front, and reinforced the lesson by ALWAYS checking the back of my work - even fifty years later ... whodathunk it would be one of the things about her that i miss the most?!?

Jeanne said...

What a great idea! Beautiful embroidery.

AnnieO said...

Lovely use of that pretty block! I love the feel of needle and embroidery thread. I'm a self taught embroiderer but my sewing teacher always instructed us to finish seams and make the inside look good--I'm with you on that for embroidery backs too!

pandchintz said...

Gorgeous! What a lovely way to use this block. Mrs Lynch would have put me right off embroidery!